Monday, June 29, 2015

Praying the Promises of God and Your Promises Too

The sixth section of Psalm 119 is about promises; praying the promises of God and your promises, too, 119:41 – 48. The first line teaches the important truth of praying the promises of God, “Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise.” One of the first lessons to learn when learning to pray is to ask God for what He has promised. This lesson is clearly seen in Psalm 2 when the Son, the King, tells of the decree in verse seven, “The LORD said to me, ‘You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth you possession…’” Jesus asked the Father for what He promised. We learn from His example.

The word “steadfast love” is the Hebrew word hesed, which describes faithfulness to the covenant relationship between God and His people Israel. It is covenantal love. It is love that chooses and remains faithful to that choice. This is God’s love. It is conditional; conditioned by the response of the one God loves. The only way to respond to God’s love is to receive Him at His word, to believe Him. As you do, you will respond with a promise in the same way a man and a woman do at their wedding. A covenant marriage is based upon steadfast love, where faithfulness to the vows is the strength of the union. So it is, only more so, with God and the relationship He desires to have with you.

The prayer for what God has promised has a result, verse forty-two, “…then I shall have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in your word.” The word “taunt” is the Hebrew word charaph, which means to defy, to blaspheme, to reproach, to condemn, and also means betrothed. Satan is all the above, including betrothed. He comes with a lie in order to wed and enslave and reproduce sin in a person’s life. But praying the promises of God answers his lie with the truth worth waiting for.
The next request is answered with the asking, “And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for my hope is in your rules.” In asking, you receive. Jesus promised this when He said, “Ask, and it will be given to you…” Luke 11:9. When you pray God’s word, the word of truth is in your mouth. The word of faith, of hope, is your request. This is not asking for what you want, it is asking for what God has promised, and then waiting in faith for God’s timing in giving it.

The rest of this section is full of vows, “I will keep your law…I will walk in a wide place…I will also speak of your testimonies before kings…I shall not be put to shame…I will lift up my hands toward your commandments…I will meditate on your statutes.” Why would a person be hesitant to make a promise to God? The answer: “Because I might not be able to keep it.” But if God has given you the promise in His word, then He will do it. His word carries in it the obedience He looks for, if you are willing to trust Him to do it in you, with you, through you, as you, before Him and the watching world around you.


Knowing and praying God’s promises is what it means to learn to pray. But you also must make promises to God and pray your promises. Make sure you shape your vows from God’s word, according to His promises. In a covenant relationship, faith is the strength of the relationship, faith in the promise that began the relationship. Your promise to God grows out of the faith from His word. “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.” Romans 10:17. “He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.” 1 Thessalonians 5:24. When you pray the promises of God, it pleases Him. This is what it means to worship the Father in spirit and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment