Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Good Shepherd and His Sheep

         Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.” John 10:14 – 15. When Jesus called Himself the Good Shepherd, He was fulfilling a prophecy from Ezekiel 34. In that chapter, God spoke through His prophet to reprimand the kings and leaders of the nation of Israel for leading the people astray. God called the kings of Israel shepherds. David was a shepherd before he was anointed king over Israel. He was the standard for all of the Old Testament kings.

         In Ezekiel 34:11 – 16, God said, “I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out…I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered…I will feed them with good pasture…I myself will make them lie down…I will seek the lost…I will bring back the strayed…I will bind up the injured…I will strengthen the weak…I will feed them justice.” This powerful ten-fold promise of the Father was fulfilled by the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son, the Good Shepherd.

         The revelation of Jesus Christ as the Good Shepherd also sheds light on the identity of His followers, the sheep. It identifies sheep as needing someone to lead them, not drive them. Driving sheep scatters them. Sheep follow, even when it is in the wrong direction. So many of the Old Testament kings led the nation of Israel in the wrong direction. These evil kings were following their own fears, lusts, and/or the fears and lusts of others around them. As a result, the sheep were scattered being driven by fear, lust, and pride. Sheep scatter and become prey for their enemies when they are driven.

         Sheep will eat grass down to the dirt, then keep circling around looking for more until the area becomes fine dust, pulverized by their constant trampling. Sheep must be led from one grassy area to another, sometimes through barren places until good pasture is found. A good shepherd knows where the good pastures are found and leads the sheep from one grazing area to another. Sheep lie down when they are full and then follow to the next place of grazing. Without a good shepherd, sheep die of hunger and fatigue, not knowing where the good pasture is found, nor when to rest.

         Sheep have very thin skin, fragile bones, and are defenseless against their enemies. Even a small hawk or owl can swoop down and kill a lamb. Sheep need a shepherd who will be with them constantly, to lead, to feed, to protect, to care for their frequent wounds.

Sheep do have two very strong attributes; they have amazing voice recognition and they trust. They can discern the voice of their shepherd in the midst of howling wind or false shepherds who come to steal, kill, and destroy. Once they know the voice of their shepherd, they will follow through barren wastelands, or the greenest pastures in order to stay near the one they trust.


         Knowing Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd, is vital in this life. Seeing and hearing His voice in God’s word will train your ear to follow Him and stay close to Him throughout the day. Knowing Him as your Shepherd gives to you your true identity as His sheep, and allows you to experience the fullness and contentment that only He, the Good Shepherd can provide. Listen to His voice today.

No comments:

Post a Comment