Friday, September 4, 2015

The Lord Is My Light and My Salvation

The concept of light is seen throughout the Scriptures in both a literal and figurative sense. The Bible states that God created light on the first day, “And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.” Genesis 1:3. Some worship the sun, but God created it. And David sang to the LORD in Psalm 27:1, “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?” The Hebrew word for “light” in both of those references is or, which means light, day, dawn, bright, light of instruction, light of the face, and lightning. It is also used in Exodus 10:23 describing the “light” that was in the homes of the Israelites during the three days of darkness in Egypt during the ninth plague.

         When David sang to the LORD, calling Him his light and salvation, he was speaking of the powerful life-giving presence of God in his life. As you read the rest of Psalm 27 you hear him celebrate the confidence he had in God, the instruction he received from the Lord, the answers to prayer he had from God, and the unshakable hope he had because the LORD is his light and salvation.

         The Hebrew word for “salvation” is yeshuah, which means savior, deliverer, avenger. It is also the Hebrew name for Jesus. It was one of David’s favorite words to describe the LORD in the Psalms, which may have been why God said that he was a man after His own heart! Listen how he uses this word in a few of his songs, “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock…the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior…” 2 Samuel 22:3. Again, “Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.” Psalm 25:5. And finally, “Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” Psalm 51:12.

         David found his identity and greatest strengths in the presence of the LORD. A thousand years before Jesus Christ, David sang about Him, looking forward and hoping in the day of His coming. The question is, do you? So many see their identity in the pain of condemnation and ridicule from others who know nothing but pain and blame. Hurt people, hurt people, even those closest to them. The image they see in the mirror is one of guilt and shame. All they can do is pass it on to others. But you have a choice as to which mirror you will look into for your identity. God has given you His word so that you can see what He sees. And He sees you in His Son, Jesus Christ; and so can you, if you are willing to look.

         Another major word in the Bible is the word “Behold!” It is always with an exclamation mark because it always comes as a welcomed surprise. “Behold!” is like a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder, “Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Revelation 5:5. “…and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself.” Revelation 19:11 – 12.


         Today, look into the word of God and behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, the Lord Jesus Christ. You were created after His likeness. This is who God has called you to be like. He is your true identity and in Him you are loved, changed, and highly favored; with a future and great hope! Today you can sing like David, The Lord is my light and my salvation; Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment